Monday, March 09, 2009

Glamourous St. Patrick's Day Tablescape on a Budget




Welcome to Tablescape Thursday hosted by Susan from, "Between Naps on the Porch". The feature invites bloggers to create a weekly tablescape and feature it on their website. Be sure to check out the lovely tablescapes. They are jam packed with many ideas to use in your own home.

This week, I created a glamourous St. Patrick's Day tablescape. The challenge I gave myself this week was to create a tablescape for around $5. I live in a small apartment so I don't have a lot of storage space to store decorations for every holiday so I try to purchase very little. I firmly believe that most of the time we have plenty of things around our house to create something lovely, we just need to use them in a different way. Once you get used to being more creative, you will find lots of things that you can use in your own tablescapes. Let's get started.
I've gathered up a few items from around the house. I have a glittery St. Patrick's Day hat that Dear Son wore to school last year. I have some green bracelets and necklaces, a watch, and a few pieces of green clover jewelry-these were all things that my sister had and was going to throw out (I asked for them to use in my tablescape!). I had some green marbles, a silver picture frame, a silver dish and a crystal candleholder. The goblets I received from a friend to use for tablescaping. They are glass I am sure but had the look of Irish crystal so I thought they would be perfect for today. One problem I had was that I didn't have any special plates for St. Patrick's Day so I wasn't sure what I would do to make them look different.

I had attempted to use green carnations in the crystal bowls however I was unable to find them this week. Then I tried to locate two green salad plates however that didn't work out. I went to Michael's and found these foam glittered shamrocks for $1.00 and decided to use them on the plates. The dinner plate, salad plate, cup and saucer are, "Spode Mansard" fine bone china; the pattern has since been discontinued. I absolutely love the pattern. I purchased these around twelve years ago.

Next, I took the pedestal from my cake plate and added the glittered hat from last year. The cake plate gives height to the tablescape. I stuck a shamrock pin in the hat to embellish the hat. Unable to find the carnations, I used green apples instead; total cost was $2.00. Plus the apples are edible so I don't need to find storage for them!

I took a green bracelet with the shamrocks and put it around the crystal hurricane. When the candle is lit, the flame shines through the bracelet. I stuck a foam shamrock on the base. I took a one of the metallic beaded necklaces and laid it in the crystal bowl beneath the apples. I would never wear any of this jewelry, but I knew it would be perfect for this tablescape. Sometimes, you just need a dash of color to reinforce your tablescape. When adding color to a tablescape or using color in a room, you should use that color a minumum of three times, otherwise the room or tablescape will look unbalanced. Above is a photo of the apples and the hurricane.

I wanted to use the picture frame. I knew I needed more green on the table with all of the white, so I purchased a St. Patrick's Day card for $2 and put it in the frame. To embellish the frame, I added more foam shamrocks on each of the four corners.


To fill out the table, I needed to add some sparkle. After all, if you are using candlelight, you want as many reflective accessories as possible. I tossed a few green glass marbles randomly on the table, added a watch piece and a few more of the foam shamrocks.

I took the other bracelets, that I was originally going to use as napkin rings and placed them around the candleholders to add a little more green to the table.
Finally, the finished table for $5.00! The apples were $2, the card for the picture frame was $2 and the green glitter shamrocks were $1. All that is left is to create an Irish dinner!

Have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day! Be sure to come back next week to see my "Birds of Paradise" tablescape. It is ultra feminine and very elegant.

35 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Your tablescape is very St. Patrick's day...and what a great idea to use things around our homes. It is very pretty!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a great goal in creating this tablescape and what a great job you did!! I'm impressed. I live in a little one bedroom condo so I understand the whole storage space issue!!!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That was very clever to use bracelets as part of the tablescape. I love it! Linda

Kathleen Ellis said...

Elegant and clever! I love how you used the jewelry to add pops of green...great idea!
Happy St.Patty's Day!
;-D

Unknown said...

Very glamorous and sparkly!!! LOVE sparkly! Great job creating it with the things you already have. (I hope my husband doesn't see your post!!!)

Kathleen said...

Very pretty! Looks nice and cherry for the big day!

xinex said...

How festive and sparkly! Beautiful! BTW, I love your gorgeous wall mirror!...Christine

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! You're good at this! Just a lovely table!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I know you are sure to have a lovely St. Patty's Day with this beautiful tablescape!

Candy said...

Cute, green and gold, celebrate!
Pot of Gold Day, Candy

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

How creative you are! I love all this. Your dining room is beautiful by the way. And I love what you did with the bracelet around the glass cup/candleholder? Anyhow, great ideas and great post. I hope you post again!
Blessings,
Debbie

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Gorgeous, Charming, refreshing, precious, sweet! I can think of so many adjectives. I loved it! Great job! I will be doing my Irish next week. Hope you will drop by!
Thanks!
Leigh,
Tales From Bloggeritaville

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a fun St. Patrick's Day table! Your attention to detail is just wonderful. Thanks for sharing all of your sources for the decorations!

Happy Tablescape Tuesday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Truly an elegant St. Patrick's tablescape!

Petunia said...

You're very clever and your table is so pretty!

Jewel Sauls said...

Your table is very glamorous and fun! Amazing what you did for $5.00 and you can eat the apples. Your Spode is lovely! I love how you have used the jewelry. It adds the perfect touch! :D Jewel

susan said...

What a good idea to decorate with the green apples!! Being able to eat the centerpiece helps with storage! :)

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Very clever to shop your home with beautiful results! Love it...Debbie

Diana LaMarre said...

Great job of shopping the house for all of your green items. I love white china and yours is quite beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful St Pat's table!!

Chandy said...

Beautiful and ingenius! Great share today, thanks! Happy TT!

Scribbler said...

Your creativity rocks! I am new to your blog, so I also looked at your Spring table. Your St. Pat's ideas were very clever -- especially the jewelry!

Scribbler

Linda Q said...

Very pretty, creative and Irish feeling! Lovely.
Linda Q

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I love your budget friendly tablescape. I really like how you used the bracelets to add some bling. Fabulous!!!

A Hint of Home said...

It turned out so cute. Love the St. Patty's hat.

Miss Laura Lu/RMS4291960 said...

Hello! Thank you for coming by my blog and saying hello! Wow! your table is beautiful...it was hard for me to keep my eyes on the table because they kept drifting to that gorgeous mirror! I love the bracelets around the candle holder! God Bless You! Lauralu :)

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Beautiful table! Happy Tablescape Thursday ~ Susan

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

I love white dishes...they go with everything. Your wall mirror in just gorgeous!

The Stylish House said...

I love this! You have used so many clever ideas to make an impact on a small budget. Wonderful tablescape, I am impressed. Cathy

Miss Janice said...

Love the St. Patrick's day 'scape and the one from last week, as well. Thank you for you kind comments about mine!

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Loved how you used the bracelets !

Sue said...

What a cute table...I love how you framed an inexpensive greeting card then added the little shamrocks to the frame...very creative and I love anything done on a dime...You did really good for only spending $5.00

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I love to see a tablescape with such creative ideas! That's my challenge it week...to create a tablescape using what I already have...and it's not easy. You did an outstanding job! Love it! Susan

Dream Mom said...

Thank you all for the lovely comments. I really enjoy all of your tablescapes as well. It's wonderful to see your creativity and all of the beautiful plates as well as the cherished family hierlooms.

Many of you noticed my new mirror...which I love. I will write about that in a future post. I am still waiting for a little more detail on it's history.

American Homemaker said...

So pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

StatCounter