Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter~Someone Special 2011: Charlotte's Web



Every year, many of the local Lion’s Clubs in the surrounding area host an annual event called, “Someone Special” where they celebrate the mentally and physically challenged disabled children and adults in the area. The concept is that they are special and in turn, they deserve a “special afternoon where they are comfortable, happy and celebrated for who they are.”




Photo Credit: Drury Lane Theatre

This year, the event would be E.B. White's "Charlotte's Web". The Lions Club has hosted this event for many years now, although we were unable to attend the last few years since Dear Son was often sick. This year they hosted 750 people. I personally love this event for several reasons, the first of course, is the beautiful theatre. If there is one thing I love, it's a gorgeous chandelier.


You have to love such an elegant setting.


It's been a few years since we've been here, but I couldn't help but notice how much Dear Son has grown! Here is a photo from six years ago when he was only 13. He looks so young!




Here he is with the clowns! I don't think he was as impressed with them today.
I think he outgrew the clowns a while back; here he is in 2007, four years ago. He looks like he's ready to cry or something, lol.Even Dad tried to get him to enjoy the clown.
Our next step is off to get the tickets!
From there, we had to wait a bit so we took some pictures. Here I am with Dear Son.And a picture with Dad.

The program for today...Check in and meet the clowns. Check. Enjoy the play. Have lunch in the Grand Ballroom with a special appearance by Ronald McDonald.
Next is off to see the play. Pretty theatre. Of course I took more pictures of the chandeliers. You know I really like them.They cleared out a special section in the rear of the theatre, just for the wheelchair guests. It worked out great. Here is Dear Son waiting for the play to begin.I couldn't help but take a picture of this pretty little girl all dressed up for the event. She was sitting in front of us and when I asked if I could take her picture, she jumped up and twirled around. It was cute.More chandelier photos. Yes, I am obsessed. I love pretty, elegant things.More pics of the kids in wheelchairs in the back of the theatre.Another picture of Dear Son.

After the play, it was off to the Grand Ballroom for lunch. Dear Son really enjoys this part. He likes all of the balloons and all of the people. He liked his pink pig too. They gave all of the kids a pink pig Beanie Baby to go along with the event today.
Here he is at the event in 2005 admiring the balloons. They put a balloon on each chair and then the kids get to keep the balloon when they are done. You can see how much better Dear Son was back then. He looked heathier, was more animated and able to enjoy the day.Finally a little smile. He's looking up at the balloons.
He ended up falling asleep during the meal which was around 11: 20 a.m. or so. One of the men at our table asked why he was sleeping. I guess it's hard for people to understand when kids aren't well. Dear Son isn't able to stay awake for a full day or even half day at this point. He does all he can to be awake and present three mornings a week when he goes to school. He sleeps the entire day after that. Just disease progression.Here is another picture (above) after lunch. He is holding his little pig. If you look closely, you can see his yellow balloon in the mirror. I tied it around his wrist. He really loves playing with balloons. What a difference from four years ago where he was laughing all the time.






More laughter...
Playing with the balloon was short lived. Umm...Dad accidently let it go...
As we were leaving, Ronald McDonald walked by...I mentioned to Dear Son that he was probably going to McDonald's. He thought that was funny. Ah, I can still make him laugh.

A special thanks to the Lions Club for making it such a great day.



Happy Easter!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Son is always so neatly dressed and nicely put together! I'll bet he is among the best-dressed kids in the room!

Dream Mom said...

Thank you! I do the best I can...I would have loved to put a nice striped button down shirt on him however that's nearly impossible to get on him at this stage with his disabilities.

Angela said...

What a nice Easter! You look beautiful.

Dream Mom said...

Thanks, Angela. Happy Easter to you too!

Gloria said...

Greetings! I am finally here! I know I still have a lot of posts to catch up on, so I hope you will forgive me? I am going to try this week to get to them little by little. :)
And man, this looked liked a wonderful day! What a nice function -- a beautiful place, and how nice that you all got to see a show AND lunch! And the three of you look great: you look gorgeous, and Dad looks very dapper, and your son looks so handsome and happy too! I loved that he laughed when you said that about Ronald McDonald! Oh, and I don't blame you for loving those chandeliers. They are beautifully extravagant! So glad to see you all had such a lovely day.
Best,
Gloria

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Archive

StatCounter